Report a Problem: Housing
Property Owners and Managers – Prevent Housing Violations
Address common housing violations before your next inspection.
For additional information on the Housing Inspection Program please review the Housing Inspection Program Packet.
To file a complaint about:
- Leaking roofs
- Faulty plumbing
- Inadequate heating
- Substandard electrical problems
- Pests (including rodents and cockroaches)
In these places:
- Rental properties (apartment buildings of 4 units or more)
- Hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts
- Mobile home parks (within unincorporated San Mateo County)
- Organized camps
- Employee housing
- Useful link: hcd.ca.gov
- Detention facilities
Call (650) 599-1112 or use the Online Complaint Form. Environmental Health Services can only respond to complaints made about the above places.
If you reside within the City of San Mateo or the City of San Carlos, contact your local Code Enforcement Department directly for more information on registering a complaint.
- City of San Mateo Code Enforcement: (650) 522-7150
- City of San Carlos Code Enforcement: (650) 802-4100
Complaints concerning Housing Authority, HUD, or Section 8 should be directed to the San Mateo County Department of Housing at 650-802-3300.
If you’d like to file a complaint about a townhome or condominium, contact the owner, HOA, or obtain legal advice.
Healthy Home Resources
Pests need water, food, and shelter to live, just like you. Explore what you can do to get rid of them and prevent them from invading your home.
Reducing moisture prevents and reduces mold growth. Your first action is to address the source of the moisture, which causes mold.