Skip to main content Skip to site navigation

Electronic Reporting


Electronic Reporting

Electronic Reporting

Electronic submission of the Hazardous Materials Business Plans (HMBPs) and Underground Storage Tank (UST) information is required (AB 2286, Feuer) by either of the following two options:

1. Cal-EPA has established the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) for reporting HMBPs.

2. Environmental Health Services (EHS) has an electronic reporting system using a local internet portal called the San Mateo County Environmental Health Services – Public Portal (EHS Portal). A video tour of the EHS Portal is below.

Please note: If you are a consultant you must submit the Electronic Reporting Lead User Authorization Form.

Electronic Reporting

Steps to Get Started

  1.  If you plan to use the EHS Portal, please request a user name and password.
  2. Wait for an email with your username and password that will arrive within a few business days. Once approved by your CUPA district inspector, you will be able to access the EHS Portal.
  3. Complete your online submittal. Watch a video on the process, or for immediate assistance, contact your district inspector.

EHS Portal Instructions

EHS Portal instructions on how to use the website and submit your forms are available in document and video format:

Training and Assistance

  • For assistance by phone or video call, contact your district inspector. You may also be able to schedule an appointment at our office located at 2000 Alameda de las Pulgas, Suite 100, San Mateo, CA 94403.
  • Training videos with step-by-step instructions can be viewed here or you can look for specific videos in the sections above.


What is electronic reporting?

AB 2286 (Feuer) was passed in 2008 requiring all regulated facilities to electronically enter their data into the statement information system known as the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) effective January 1, 2018. Alternatively, submissions can be completed using the EHS Portal, which provides a secure option for data entry by authorized business representatives. This data will be reviewed and approved by EHS staff prior to being transferred to CERS. 

The EHS Portal is designed for several EHS CUPA programs including but not limited to the:

After completing the initial data submission, it will be available for later review, annual certification, and updates by the business.

Does submittal of electronic files such as PDFs via email constitute electronic reporting?

No. Electronic reporting means that a businesses uses the EHS Portal or CERS to enter and submit required information. Information is periodically exchanged between the EHS Portal and CERS, and businesses must choose only one of the two options to enter the required information. EHS recommends that businesses use the EHS Portal to enter required data. The benefit of using the EHS Portal is that staff are able to directly assist businesses if any issues arise. For multi-jurisdictional businesses, please see the information provided on the CERS business web page.

If I use CERS, will this meet all electronic reporting requirements? 

It depends. If you only complete items marked as required by CERS, some of the data required for a HMBP in Title 27 of the California Code of Regulations and Health and Safety Code Chapter 6.95 may be missed. If you use CERS, EHS requires an Emergency Response Plan, Employee Training Plan , and a Site Map to be completed and uploaded to CERS for a complete HMBP submittal. 

If the EHS Portal is used instead of CERS, additional documentation is not needed. 

How will electronic reporting help businesses and agencies?

Electronic reporting will allow:

  • Regulated facilities to more easily update existing information.
  • Emergency response agencies real-time access to current data.
  • Federal, state, and local agencies and regulators to have more efficient access to current data.
  • Reduced file space, paper waste, and data entry time. 

How do I get started?

Request a username and password from the EHS Portal. 

How do I get started if I have businesses in multiple county jurisdictions (both inside and outside of San Mateo County)?

CERS is the only option for managing electronic submissions when you have businesses located in multiple county jurisdictions. Electronically reporting required unified program to CERS and local CUPA portal is prohibited. 

What if I don’t have internet access?

Local public libraries offer free internet access. Contact your local library for information regarding computer availability and internet access.

More questions? 

Call (650) 372-6200 or email For more information about the HMBP Program, visit For more information about the UST Program, visit