Healthy Nail Salon Reward Program
- Requirements and resources for your industry
- For the most up-to-date information on San Mateo County’s Health Officer Orders, including information about nail salons reopening, click here.
Healthy Nail Salon Program Overview:
The next time you get your nails done, choose a Healthy Nail Salon, because “Pretty Shouldn’t Stink.”
The Program certifies salons that have committed to using less toxic products, safer practices, and better ventilation, so you can breathe easier knowing they are healthier for you, their employees, and the planet.
Get $5 Certificates!*
*Redeem your paperless certificates by showing the text or email message to your nail technician.
- Nail polishes without the toxic trio (toluene, dibutyl phthalate, and formaldehyde) which may cause cancer.
- Nail polish thinners without toluene and methyl ethyl ketone.
- Nail polish removers without ethyl acetate and butyl acetate, which irritate eyes and skin.
- Artificial nails without methyl methacrylate (MMA), which can cause birth defects and rashes.
- Employees wear gloves when working with chemicals.
- Technicians use ventilation units when providing artificial nail services to remove harmful fumes and dust from the air.
Certified Healthy Nail Salons in San Mateo County
Euro Nail Spa
1155 California Drive, Suite F
Maite Nail & Skin Spa
349 California Drive
My Little Nail Shop (does not accept certificates)
247 Park Road
1360 Broadway Avenue
Friend’s Nail & Company
7377 Mission Street
Ann’s Nail Spa (does not accept certificates)
1150 El Camino Real
Lyna’s Beauty Salon (does not accept certificates)
515 El Camino Real
Alpha Nails (does not accept certificates)
1330 El Camino Real
18 Hillcrest Boulevard
Ele Ela Nail Salon (does not accept certificates)
1831 Palmetto Avenue
Kim’s Natural Nails (does not accept certificates)
450 Dondee Way, Suite #12
Nails by Lisa
345 Rockaway Beach Avenue
Bamboo Nail Spa
810 Middlefield Road
1224 El Camino Real
1310 El Camino Real #G
Sai Gon Day Spa
135 S. B St
Mani-Cute Nail Salon
1864 S. Norfolk Street
Relaxing Nails & Spa
639 S. B Street
7 Sisters Nail Spa (does not accept certificates)
101 W 25th Avenue
Tip Toes Nails
65 Bovet Road
Touch of Beauty
13 41st Avenue
For assistance signing up for the Healthy Nail Salon Certificate Program, please call (650) 339-9526, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Did San Mateo County Adopt this Program?
San Mateo County wants to keep nail salon customers and employees safe. Nail technicians are routinely exposed to many hazardous chemicals found in nail salon products for long periods of time. These chemicals have been linked to health impacts that include cancer, birth defects, asthma, rashes, and other serious health conditions. While customers are not exposed to the chemicals for as long, there is still a concern for those that visit nail salons often.
The California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology regulates other health aspects of nail salons, such as inspecting them for cleanliness. To make a sanitation complaint, click here.