Services: California Children's Services (CCS)
California Children’s Services (CCS) is a tax supported statewide program that helps children and young adults up to 21 years old who have certain medical conditions. Services include arranging, directing, and paying for medical care, occupational and physical therapy, equipment, and rehabilitation.
CCS is not a health insurance plan. It will only cover CCS eligible conditions and not all of a child’s health care needs. There are also certain financial requirements for some of the services provided.
- Diagnostic Evaluations: If a child appears to have a CCS eligible condition, but there is no medical documentation of the condition, the CCS program can pay for a diagnostic evaluation to determine eligibility
- Funding for Medical Treatment Services which are needed for the child’s CCS eligible condition including: medical, dental and surgical care, medicine, physical and occupational therapy, lab tests, X-rays, braces, and durable medical equipment
- Medical Therapy Program (MTP) Children who need physical and/or occupational therapy for eligible medical conditions can receive therapy in Medical Therapy Units (MTUs) located throughout the county
- Medical Case Management: referrals, follow-up,
- transferring medical records, helping to locate new facilities and services when families move, and assisting the family to cope with the child’s condition
Who is Eligible
Anyone who meets the following conditions may be eligible:
- Age: Under 21 years of age AND
- Residence: Permanent resident of San Mateo County AND
- Medical condition: Has a physically disabling medical condition that is eligible for care under CCS AND
- Income: The family’s income is less than $40,000 a year (State adjusted gross income-AGI)
A child whose family’s income is over $40,000 may still be eligible if:
- He or she has full-scope Medi-Cal or Healthy Families OR
- the estimated cost of medical care related to CCS eligible medical condition for current year is expected to be more than 20% of the family’s adjusted gross income OR
- the child was adopted with a known CCS eligible medical condition
Exceptions: Medical Therapy Program Services, diagnostic services, high-risk infant follow-up, and the children’s HIV program do not have a financial eligibility requirement.
How to Apply
San Mateo County
Fees are assessed by CCS Benefit Analyst after Medical Eligibility has been determined. If you have MediCal or Healthy Families or only receive MediCal Therapy Program Services there will be no fees assessed.