Safer Cleaning At Home
Protect your family from harsh chemicals by making your own household cleaning products using these simple ingredients:
- Antibacterial, Triclosan, and fragrance free soap
- Baking soda
- Microfiber cloth
- Scrub brush
- 3% hyrdogen peroxide
- Leave open boxes of baking soda in the refrigerator, closet or bathroom.
- Sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of trash cans
All Purpose Cleaner
- Mix (Triclosan free) liquid soap with water.
- Mix liquid soap with 1 tablespoon of baking soda, lemon juice, and water.
- Fill a spray bottle with 1/2 part vinegar, 1/2 part water, and add some lemon juice to create a fresh and natural scent.
Sprinkle baking soda on the carpet. Let it set overnight, or for as long as possible. Vacuum.
Carpet, Rug, and Upholstery Cleaner
Mix 1 quart warm water, 1 tablespoon of mild liquid soap, 1 tablespoon of Borax, and add a squeeze of lemon or a splash of vinegar. Apply a damp cloth or sponge and rub gently. Wipe with a clean cloth and allow to dry.
Use mild, biodegradable detergents. Look for naturally derived or glycerin-based soaps.
Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda into the drain, followed by 1/2 a cup of vinegar. Wait 15 minutes, then pour 2 quarts of boiling water down the drain.
Mix 1 quart water, 1/2 cup of white vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a spray bottle. Shake to blend. Spray surfaces and rub with a clean, soft, lint free cloth or newspaper.
Use plain soap, free of fragrances, dye and color.
Kitchen: Countertop, Floor, & Appliances
- Use soapy water or soapy water mixed with vinegar.
- Combine 1/2 part vinegar with 1/2 part water into a spray bottle.
- To prevent or kill mold mix 2 tablespoons of tea tree oil into 2 cups of water and apply with a sponge.
- Let vinegar sit on the mold. Clean with soapy water.
- To clean mildew from a shower curtain, machine wash with a 1/2 cup of soap and a 1/2 cup of baking soda, then add 1 cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle.
- Bon Ami is an effective and safe option.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of liquid soap, 2 tablespoons of Borax, and 1 quart of warm water. Leave on the oven for 20 minutes then scrub with a non-chlorinated scouring powder.
- Combine 3 cups of baking soda with 1 cup of warm water and scrub into the grout.
- Rinse well with water.
- Pour 1/4 cup of baking soda into the toilet bowl and sprinkle with vinegar. Let sit for half an hour, then brush.
- Mix 1/2 cup Borax with 1 gallon of warm water and use as a disinfectant and stain remover.
- Hyrdogen peroxide (3% solution) can also be used as a disinfectant.
Wood Furniture & Floor Polish
- Mix 2 parts vegetable oil to one part lemon juice. Rub mixture in and let sit for 5 minutes. Polish with a soft cloth.
- Oil soap is also a great safer option.