Make an HHW Drop-Off Appointment
Drop-off appointments are free for all San Mateo County residents. Here are the steps you need to take:
- Review the program rules and requirements and list of items that are and are not accepted through the program.
- Choose a day, time, and location that’s convenient for you using our online appointment system.
- Arrive at the drop-off location that is sent to you once you finalize your appointment at the selected appointment day and time.
- Once at the drop-off location, stay inside your vehicle at all times. Our friendly professional staff will unload your vehicle while you wait.
Get started by continuing below or click here to read our appointment FAQs.
PROGRAM RULES & REQUIREMENTS
How To Prepare your HHW for Transportation and Safe Management
Limit: 10 Gallons or 50 Pounds of Waste per Appointment
State regulations prohibit you from transporting more than 10 liquid gallons or 50 solid pounds of hazardous waste in your vehicle at one time. If you have more than 10 gallons or 50 pounds of waste, you can make multiple appointments.
If your waste exceeds this amount:
- Estimate the amount of actual product in the container.
- Make one appointment per vehicle for each 10 gallons or 50 pounds of hazardous waste.
- Make additional appointments as needed.
There is no limit to the number of appointments you may make per event.
Limit: The Program Cannot Accept Containers Larger Than 5 Gallons
The Program only accepts containers that are 5 gallons or less in size. If you have waste in an oversized container larger than 5 gallons:
- Get buckets with lids that are no larger than 5 gallons in size.
- Transfer waste from larger containers into the 5-gallon buckets and secure the lid.
- Label the 5-gallon buckets with the name and description of the original product.
IMPORTANT: KEEP YOU, YOUR FAMILY, AND COUNTY EMPLOYEES SAFE. DO NOT MIX ANY WASTE.
Prepare for Your Appointment by Following These Steps
- Keep your waste in its original, non-leaking containers.
- For waste in original containers with intact and legible labels, place items in boxes or crates — this is best for keeping waste containers upright for safer transport, avoiding spills.
- For waste without a label, or not in the original containers, please tell County staff what it is, or otherwise attach a label indicating what it is.
- Do not place items in plastic garbage bags.
- For fragile or leaking containers, place them in a larger container such as a large bucket with a secure lid to safely contain leaking material.
- Place the waste containers upright in sturdy cardboard boxes or bins.
- You may line the box or bin with plastic — do not use plastic bags alone.
- Place the prepared wastes in the back of your vehicle.
- If you would like to keep your waste container (e.g. red gasoline can), make an appointment at a San Mateo collection event.
- Remove any other items not intended for disposal from the back of your vehicle.
- Avoid bringing pets or plan to keep them secured.
- REMEMBER: NEVER MIX WASTE. IT’S DANGEROUS.
What To Expect At Your Appointment
Staff will greet you, take a brief survey, and unload the waste from your vehicle for you.
- Stay inside of your vehicle
- Turn off your engine
- Extinguish any smoking materials
Still have questions?
IMPORTANT NOTICES: Household hazardous waste events (HHW) may be canceled due to poor air quality. HHW drop-off events in Daly City, East Palo Alto, Foster City, La Honda, Pacifica, Portola Valley, San Mateo, South San Francisco, and Redwood City have resumed.
Sign up for upcoming household hazardous waste drop-off event notifications.