Rabies Information for Medical Providers
Information for medical providers
Please help the San Mateo County Health Communicable Disease Control Program by filling out and submitting an every time you provide care to an individual who has been bitten by an animal. Please fax the form to the Peninsula Humane Society and SPCA at 650-685-0102.
If you have questions or need more information regarding rabies or the management of animal bites, please call 650-573-2346. Whether PEP is indicated or not should be based on the type of animal involved, its health and behavior, the type and circumstances of the exposure and the availability of the animal for diagnostic testing or observation, a usually complex situation that requires evaluation on a case by case basis.
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Rabies Site
- Information For Doctors (CDC)
- Travelers Health – Yellow Book
- Patient assistance programs for rabies vaccine and immune globulin
Additional information/useful links
- World Health Organization webpage – Human and animal rabies
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Website - Rabies
- CDC webpage - Bats and Rabies
- CDC Rabies Information for Kids Website
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH) webpage – Rabies Surveillance Annual Reports
Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA
Tel: (650) 340-8200