My Health Information
How Will My Health Information Be Used?
Health information in SMC Connected Care is shared for treatment purposes only.
Just like your health information in a paper record, your health information in SMC Connected Care is protected by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule.
Under this rule, your health information can only be shared with:
- Other doctors and hospitals for treatment purposes
- Insurers for billing purposes
- State and federal health reporting agencies (such as immunization and cancer registries), as required by law
When a healthcare provider is seeing you for treatment, he or she can receive information about your health history from other healthcare providers who have treated you in the past.
If you receive care in the emergency department or are admitted to or discharged from a hospital, SMC Connected Care can notify your doctors about that event. In the event of an emergency, health care providers can also use SMC Connected Care to communicate among themselves to design the best plan for your ongoing care.
The information shared with your healthcare providers may include:
- Demographic Information
- Primary Language
- Emergency Contact
- Primary Care Provider
- Advanced Directive
- Medication list
- Known Allergies
- Healthcare Visit History (e.g., clinics, emergency rooms, hospitals). This may include visit dates, diagnosis and healthcare provider information.
- Laboratory Test Results
- Healthcare Team Providers