Microenterprise Home Kitchen Operations
As of January 1, 2019, AB 626, known as the Microenterprise Home Kitchen Operations Act, became law. The law authorizes San Mateo County to permit home kitchens for retail use. Microenterprise Home Kitchen Operations (MEHKO) operate as permitted mini restaurants in a resident’s home.
San Mateo County Environmental Health Services is not authorizing MEHKO permits at this time. Anyone who operates a retail home kitchen from their residence within San Mateo County’s jurisdiction is in violation of the California Retail Food Code. A Cottage Food Operation (CFO) permit is different from a MEHKO permit and does not allow a resident to conduct any MEHKO activity in the home. Violators are subject to closure and further enforcement actions.
Environmental Health Services is currently coordinating with local governing bodies of the County and its cities to determine local implementation options for AB 626. Please check back periodically as implementation and permit details are established.
Microenterprise Home Kitchen Operations are not allowed to :
- Serve or sell raw oysters.
- Produce or sell raw milk.
- Conduct processes that require a Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) plan.
- Manufacture ice cream or dairy products.
- Serve alcohol or food that contains alcohol without a license from the California Department of Beverage Control (ABC) Program.
For more information, please contact:
San Mateo County Environmental Health Services’ Food Program at (650) 372-6200, or email EnvHealth@smcgov.org.