How to prepare for your dental visit
Click here for more information about what to expect when you visit the dentist.
HPSM Dental members: bring both your HPSM ID card and your Medi-Cal BIC card to your dental appointments.
Before the appointment
- Prepare a list of questions or concerns for the dentist.
- Tell your child about the appointment and what to expect. Play games to familiarize your child with the experience. Have them sit in a chair and pretend to be the dentist by counting and brushing their teeth. Then let your child pretend to be the dentist with a stuffed animal or doll.
- Read books or watch videos about going to the dentist with their favorite characters.
- Schedule an appointment at a time your child will be the most comfortable, such as after a nap or after a meal.
- Be sure to brush their teeth prior to the appointment.
During the appointment
- Bring a list of any medications your child is currently taking in order to give a complete medical history.
- Have your child bring their favorite stuffed animal or toy for comfort.