Middle School Education Program
The San Mateo County Environmental Health Services Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Middle School Education Program has created a 30-45 minute interactive presentation that explores:
- How to identify hazardous products
- The impacts of hazardous products on health and the environment
- How to properly manage and safely dispose of HHW
- Safe alternatives to hazardous products
This education program aligns with NGSS MS-ESS3-3 Earth and Human Activity through the elements of Disciplinary Core Ideas and Cross-Cutting Concepts.
Interested in scheduling an HHW presentation? Complete an Interest Survey.
Why Should Students Learn About Household Hazardous Waste?
Students may be aware of, or already participate in, recycling programs at home or at school. Some may also be familiar with the principles of “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.” However, students may not be aware of how to safely dispose of a special type of waste - household hazardous waste (HHW).
HHW are products that contain either corrosive, toxic, flammable, or reactive ingredients. They are substances that are used in and around the home that can be harmful or dangerous to humans, animals, and the environment if used or stored improperly. Awareness of these products and their proper handling can significantly change the habits of a household and empower students to be responsible stewards of their community and environment.
The Program is scheduling virtual presentations for the Spring 2022 semester. To sign up for a presentation, fill out this form!
Student Activity Worksheets
Interested in exploring practical HHW themes beyond the presentation? Students can dive deeper into the concepts individually or in groups using Student Activity Worksheets designed to explore HHW at home or in the classroom. The following Student Activity Worksheets will be available to download after February 14, 2022:
- HHW Home Inventory Activity: Encourages students to safely identify hazardous products around their homes.
- Safer Cleaning for Your Home: Invites students to create their own household cleaning products using safe, less toxic ingredients that can be found around the home.
- Identify and Classify Hazardous Household Products: Students receive images of household products and examine the product labeling to identify and categorize hazardous products.
- HHW Word Search: A fun word search activity that tests students’ knowledge of new HHW vocabulary words.