Behavioral Health Staff: Specialty Mental Health Providers
Specialty Mental Health Providers
San Mateo County has a longstanding commitment to collaborating with community partners, individual mental health professionals, and counties to provide mental health services that enhance and support the lives of our residents. It is our goal to support our residents through services that are flexible, responsive, and professional. We believe in offering choices to our residents as they make their journey towards wellness.
Behavioral Health and Recovery Services’ Specialty Mental Health Private Provider Network (SPPN) is comprised of mental health professionals of varying disciplines and specialties.
We invite you to become an active member of our Specialty Mental Health Private Provider Network. Learn how to join our network.
- LMS Instructions
- Requesting an Interpreter
- Instructions for completing the CMS 1500 Claim Form
- CMS Website Cheat Sheet - how to look up rates
- Developing a Treatment Plan
- BHRS Mental Health Clinic Contact Information
- BHRS Adult SMI SPMI Eligibility Screening Tool
- BHRS 0 - 5 Specialty Mental Health System of Care Eligibility Criteria
- BHRS Youth 6 - 17 Specialty Mental Health System of Care Eligibility Criteria
- Quality Improvement Compliance Review of Outpatient Provider Services: 98-11,
- ADA Standards for Independent Professional Contractors: 98-17
- Concerns/Complaints about MHP Individual and Organizational Contract Providers: 98-10
- Mental Health Managed Care Plan – HIPAA Compliance: 03-17
- Outpatient Referrals - Share of Cost: 98-04
- Outpatient Services to Beneficiaries of Other Counties: 07-02
- Provider Contracts: 98-03
- Provider Selection and Performance Criteria: 98-07
SPPN Required Trainings
As a specialty mental health provider, you are required to complete annual compliance trainings. Many of these trainings can be found on the County’s Learning Management System (LMS).
If you are new to LMS, please register here first.
New BHRS Contractor Compliance Bundle, which includes the following four trainings:
- Confidentiality and HIPAA for Mental Health and AOD
- Compliance Training for BHRS
- Fraud, Waste, and Abuse
- Critical Incident Reporting
In addition to the above, the following trainings may also be required:
- Cultural Humility (one-time requirement)
- Sexual Orientation Gender Identity (SOGI) Training (one-time requirement)
- Working Effectively with Interpreters (if using interpretation services)
NEW SPPN Provider Orientation 8.9.2021
Clinical Documentation Training 2019
- Medi-Cal Requirements & Chart Review- Video
- Assessments- Video
- Treatment Plans & Progress Notes- Video
- Clinical Documentation Training PowerPoint
Join the Specialty Mental Health Private Provider Network
If you have a passion for working with the Specialty Mental Health population and would like to learn more about joining our network, please contact Provider Relations at the information below:
Laura Jacobo Smith, LMFT, Provider Relations Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Licensed in California in one of the following: Ph.D., Psy.D., LMFT, LCSW, or LPCC
- MediCal enrollment; required for all providers serving the MediCal population in California. Providers interested in contracting with BHRS must be enrolled or have started the process of enrollment.
- Ability to see clients face to face if requested
- Office located within the surrounding counties
- Minimum of five openings for new referrals to start