Substance Use Services & Resources
If you or a loved one is struggling with substance misuse or
addiction, you are not alone.
We’re here to help.
Call our Access Call Center 24/7 for assistance
Toll Free: (800) 686-0101
TTY for the hearing impaired - please call 711
STEP 1: To get help for yourself or a loved one, start by calling Behavioral Health and Recovery Services’ Access Call Center.
STEP 2: A trained professional will ask you questions to help find the right care for you.
STEP 3: You will receive a referral to an appropriate substance use treatment and/or mental health provider.
We serve San Mateo County residents with Medi-Cal and individuals who are uninsured.
Access Call Center staff speak English, Spanish, and Chinese. For other languages, they will assist you through a free telephone interpreter service
For COVID-19 behavioral health resources, click here.
Learn about the BHRS COVID-19 service modifications here.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Coping with stress, anxiety and substance use during COVID-19
- What are my options to help with alcohol and drug use? - ,
- How can I stay safe while using drugs? - ,
- Medications for alcohol and opioid Use – ,
- How to support a family member or friend who has a problem with alcohol and drugs?- ,
You Are Not Alone – 24/7 Help & Support is Available
If you or someone you know is experiencing challenges with anxiety, panic, depression, alcohol and drug use or other emotional distress, you are not alone. Below are some resources that provide free, confidential and immediate emotional support by phone, text or chat to anyone in emotional distress or a suicidal crisis - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, call or text 9-1-1 or see crisis services.
Crisis/Suicide Hotline & Text
- 1 (800) 273-TALK (8255) or (650) 579-0350
- 1 (888) 628-9454 Spanish speakers
- 1 (800) 273-8255 Veterans Crisis Line or chat online
- 1 (800) 985-5990 Disaster Distress Helpline or Text TALKSWITHUS to 66746
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline Chat
- Teen Crisis Services: Monday-Thursday 4:30-9:30pm PST, 650-747-6463 | sanmateocrisis.org
StarVista Crisis Center (San Mateo County) - sanmateocrisis.org
Crisis Text Line - Crisis Text Line serves anyone, in any type of crisis, providing access to free, 24/7 support. Text BAY to 741741 to reach a crisis counselor. Learn how it works.
Providers & Resources
- Provider Directory – All BHRS Mental Health and Substance Use Services
- Alcohol and Other Drug Services Provider Directory: One-page quick glance chart of AOD providers and available services with contact information.
- For information on our Integrated Medication Assisted Treatment program, where medications are used to treat alcohol and opioid addictions, along with counseling, see the following fliers: , , or contact the IMAT Support Line to speak with a case manager or for questions.
Women’s Services Network: Detailed directory of available AOD prevention and treatment programs and services, service locations, and contact information.
- Glossary of Service Modalities: Description of the different types of available alcohol and other drug service modalities.
- Voices of Recovery offers peer-to-peer substance use recovery guidance and supports personal, family and community recovery.
- BHRS Office of Consumer and Family Affairs provides information, education and support for consumers/clients and family members dealing with mental health and/or substance use challenges.
- California Peer-Run Warm Line - a 24/7 non-emergency resource for anyone in California seeking emotional support. Call 1 (855) 845-7415 or chat online.
- Heart & Soul Peer-Run Warm Line - (650) 231-2024
Current or Former Foster Youth and
Are you a current or former foster youth? Having problems at home? Frustrated? Need someone to talk to? Are you a caregiver of a current or former foster youth? Are you feeling frustrated? Would you like additional support? The 24/7 FURS hotline is here to help. CALL OR TEXT: 1-833-939-FURS | 1-833-939-3877. Learn more about FURS at www.cal-furs.org.
on Mental Illness (NAMI) San Mateo County
Support for family members who have a loved one with a mental illness
Warm Line: 650-638-0802 | Office Line: 650-638-0800
- Domestic Violence Hotline – 1 (800) 799-7233 (SAFE) or chat at www.thehotline.org
- CORA (Communities Overcoming Relationship Abuse) – 1 (800) 300-1080 | www.corasupport.org
- Youth Stabilization, Opportunity, & Support (S.O.S.) Team...Coming Soon - The Youth S.O.S. Team is designed to respond within 24 hours in the community to any location where youth (ages 0-25) may be in a mental health crisis. They will provide a holistic response including safety assessments, crisis intervention, brief counseling, family supports and resources, linkages and warm hand-offs to ongoing care to support the youth and their family. For questions about our Youth S.O.S program, contact StarVista’s Crisis Center at email@example.com or visit www.sanmateocrisis.org.
Is My Insurance Accepted?
BHRS serves Health Plan of San Mateo members with the following plans: Medi-Cal, CareAdvantange, County ACE, and HealthWorx.
Services provided are based on individual needs and are available to San Mateo County residents on a sliding fee scale. No one is turned away for lack of funds.
Privately insured? Contact your carrier to learn about coverage options and substance use services available to you through your health insurance plan.