Coastal Cleanup Day
Coastal Cleanup is an annual waterway and land cleanup held in the month of September. It’s California’s largest volunteer event and brings community awareness to cleaning up our streets and protecting our marine environment.
San Mateo County Environmental Health Services coordinates the event in partnership with the California Coastal Commission, the Ocean Conservancy, and many Statewide and local partners.
Sign up for reminder emails about Coastal Cleanup 2021!
Coastal Cleanup 2020 Results
- 1,507 volunteers participated in the event.
- 9,710.46 lbs of trash and recyclables were picked up.
- Top 10 littered items removed in San Mateo County in 2020.
Thank you to everyone who came out and participated in Coastal Cleanup 2020 to help protect our bay and ocean from litter pollution. The State is a much cleaner and healthier place today because of all your work.
If you did not get a chance to participate in Coastal Cleanup 2020, you can use the Clean Swell app at anytime to track litter you pick up in your community. The app can be downloaded in the Apple Store or Google Play. The litter your household collects will help contribute to the total amount of litter picked up in San Mateo County. Check out global and local data at coastalcleanupdata.org.
Thank You Statewide and Local Partners!
- California Coastal Commission
- California Department of Boating & Waterways
- California State Parks
- California State Parks Foundation
- City of Belmont
- City of Brisbane
- City of Burlingame
- City of East Palo Alto
- City of Foster City
- City of Menlo Park
- City of Millbrae
- City of Redwood City
- City of San Bruno
- City of San Mateo
- City of South San Francisco
- Coastside Land Trust
- Crystal Geyser
- Friends of Bedwell Bayfront Park
- Friends of Fitzgerald Marine Reserve
- Grassroots Ecology
- Half Moon Bay Rotary Club
- Marina Lagoon Action Committee
- Marine Science Institute
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Ocean Conservancy
- Pacific Beach Coalition
- Redwood City Pride and Beautification Committee
- Redwood High School
- San Gregorio Environmental Resource Center
- San Mateo County Department of Parks
- San Mateo County Department of Public Works
- San Mateo County Harbor District
- San Mateo County Office of Sustainability
- Sequoia Yacht Club
- Sports Basement
- St. Mathew’s Catholic School
- Surfrider Foundation
- TLC Locals
- The Club at Westpoint