Coastal and Bay Cleanup Day
Coastal Cleanup Day (CCD) is an annual waterway and land cleanup held on the third Saturday of every September. It’s California’s largest volunteer event and brings community awareness to cleaning up and protecting our marine environment.
San Mateo County coordinates CCD in conjunction with the California Coastal Commission, the Ocean Conservancy, and many Statewide and local partners (see below).
Cleanups are held at over 30 beaches, creeks, waterways, parks and neighborhoods throughout the County.
2018 Coastal Cleanup Day Results
2018 Volunteer #: 4,920
Pounds of Trash Picked Up: 27,813 lbs
Pounds of Recyclables: 4,534 lbs
Mileage Cleaned Up: 84 miles
TOTAL AMOUNT OF LITTER PICKED UP= 32,347
For more information on Statewide results, click here.
Most Unusual Items Found: Marijuana chocolate bar, bong, Jimmy Buffet book, Apple laptop, bag full of knee and leg braces, 21,000 cigarette butts picked up by the Pacifica Beach Coalition, and a casino chip.
Thank you to everyone who came out for Coastal Cleanup Day 2018 to help protect our bay and ocean from litter pollution. The State is a much cleaner and healthier place today because of all your work.
Thank You to our 2018 Statewide and Local Partners!
- California Coastal Commission
- California Department of Boating & Waterways
- California State Parks
- City of Belmont
- City of Brisbane
- City of Burlingame
- City of East Palo Alto
- City of Foster City
- City of Menlo Park
- City of Millbrae
- City of Redwood City
- City of San Mateo
- City of South San Francisco
- Coastside Land Trust
- Community Printers
- Crystal Geyser
- Friends of Bedwell Bayfront Park
- Friends of Fitzgerald Marine Reserve
- Grassroots Ecology
- Half Moon Bay Rotary Club (NEW! 2018 site)
- Marina Lagoon Action Committee
- Marine Science Institute
- Matt Beard Art
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Ocean Conservancy
- Orchard Supply Hardware
- Pacifica Beach Coalition
- Redwood City Pride and Beautification Committee
- RethinkWaste - Special thank you for the reusable stainless steel straw donation for CCD volunteers within the RethinkWaste service area!
- San Bruno Beautification Task Force
- San Gregorio Environmental Resource Center
- San Mateo County Department of Parks
- San Mateo County Department of Public Works
- San Mateo County Harbor District
- San Mateo County Office of Sustainability -Special thank you for the reusable stainless steel straw donation for CCD volunteers!
- Save Our Shores
- Sequoia Yacht Club
- Surfrider Foundation
- TLC Locals
- Union Bank
- Yacht Club at Westpoint (NEW 2018 site!)