Coastal and Bay Cleanup Day
Coastal Cleanup Day (CCD) is an annual waterway and land cleanup held on the third Saturday of September. Tens of thousands of people across the state come together to help make our communities cleaner and healthier for people and animals.
Cleanups are held all over San Mateo County at beaches, creeks, waterways, parks and neighborhoods. Families are encouraged to bring their children, as this family-friendly event is a great opportunity to learn about litter and how to prevent it from ending up in our local streets and waterways.
How Do I Volunteer?
When: Saturday, September 15th 2018
Where: Over 30 sites throughout the Peninsula
2017 Coastal Cleanup Day Results
With 100% of sites reporting, San Mateo County had…
- 4,447 Volunteers
- 28,706 pounds of trash and recyclables collected (over 14 tons and a 7.6% increase from 2016)
Thank you to everyone who came out for Coastal Cleanup Day 2017 to help protect our coast and bayside. The state is a much cleaner and healthier place today because of all your work at our beaches, creeks, lagoons, neighborhoods, and parks.
Some of the most unusual items found in San Mateo County for 2017 Coastal Cleanup Day include a box of screws, refrigerator shelves, half a hockey stick, crab pot, circuit breaker box, clothes rack, car bumper, Indian arrowhead, and plenty of tires and cigarette butts!
Check out from 2017 Coastal Cleanup Day! If you participated in 2017 Coastal Cleanup Day, fill out the statewide survey and enter a drawing for prizes from the Coastal Commission.
Thank you to our 2017 Statewide and Local Partners!
- California Coastal Commission
- California Department of Boating & Waterways
- California State Parks
- City of Belmont
- City of Brisbane
- City of Burlingame
- City of East Palo Alto
- City of Foster City
- City of Menlo Park
- City of Millbrae
- City of Redwood City
- City of San Mateo
- City of South San Francisco
- Coastside Land Trust
- Crystal Geyser
- Friends of Bedwell Bayfront Park
- Friends of Fitzgerald Marine Reserve
- Grassroots Ecology
- Marina Lagoon Action Committee
- Marine Science Institute
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Ocean Conservancy
- Orchard Supply Hardware - Special thank you to OSH Millbrae, Redwood City, SSF, Foster City, San Carlos for the 250 bucket donations!
- Pacifica Beach Coalition
- Redwood City Pride and Beautification Committee
- San Bruno Beautification Task Force
- San Gregorio Environmental Resource Center
- San Mateo County Department of Parks
- San Mateo County Department of Public Works
- San Mateo County Harbor District
- San Mateo County Mosquito and Vector Control District
- Save Our Shores
- Sequoia Yacht Club
- Surfrider Foundation
- TLC Locals