Substance Use Services & Resources
For assistance in finding mental health and/or substance use services for someone who may be experiencing a mental illness and/or substance use condition, or for someone you are concerned about, call the Behavioral Health and Recovery Services ACCESS Call Center for information, an assessment and a referral based on individual needs. We serve San Mateo County residents with Medi-Cal and individuals who are uninsured.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are my options to help with alcohol and drug use? - ,
- How can I stay safe while using drugs? - ,
- Medications for alcohol and opioid Use – ,
- How to support a family member or friend who has a problem with alcohol and drugs?- ,
For COVID-19 behavioral health resources, click here.
Need Help? Call the Access Call Center 24/7
Toll Free: (800) 686-0101
TTY for hearing impaired: dial 711
for San Mateo County residents who have or are eligible for Medi-Cal or those who are uninsured.
STEP 1: To get help for yourself or a loved one, start by calling the Access Call Center.
STEP 2: A trained professional will ask you questions to help find the right care for you.
STEP 3: You will receive a referral to the appropriate mental health or substance use treatment provider.
Access Call Center staff speak English, Spanish, and Chinese. For other languages, they will assist you through a free telephone interpreter service
Providers & Resources
- For information on our Integrated Medication Assisted Treatment program, where medications are used to treat alcohol and opioid addictions, along with counseling, see the following fliers: , , or contact the IMAT Support Line to speak with a case manager or for questions.
- Alcohol and Other Drug Services Provider Directory: One-page quick glance chart of AOD providers and available services with contact information.
- Provider Directory – All BHRS Mental Health and Substance Use Services
- Women’s Services Network: Detailed directory of available AOD prevention and treatment programs and services, service locations, and contact information.
- Glossary of Service Modalities: Description of the different types of available alcohol and other drug service modalities.
- Voices of Recovery offers peer-to-peer substance use recovery guidance and supports personal, family and community recovery.
- BHRS Office of Consumer and Family Affairs provides information, education and support for consumers/clients and family members dealing with mental health and/or substance use challenges.
Is My Insurance Accepted?
BHRS serves Health Plan of San Mateo members with the following plans: Medi-Cal, CareAdvantange, County ACE, and HealthWorx.
Services provided are based on individual needs and are available to San Mateo County residents on a sliding fee scale. No one is turned away for lack of funds.
Privately insured? Contact your carrier to learn about coverage options and substance use services available to you through your health insurance plan.