Coastal Cleanup Day
Coastal Cleanup Day is an annual waterway and land cleanup held in the month of September. It’s California’s largest volunteer event and brings community awareness to protecting our marine environment from litter.
San Mateo County Environmental Health Services coordinates the event in partnership with the California Coastal Commission, the Ocean Conservancy, and many Statewide and local partners.
Sign up for reminder emails about Coastal Cleanup Day 2022.
Coastal Cleanup 2021 Results
- 2,700 volunteers participated in the event.
- 22,000 lbs of trash and recyclables were picked up.
- Event photos
Thank you to everyone who came out and participated in Coastal Cleanup 2021 to help protect our bay and ocean from litter pollution. The State is a much cleaner and healthier place today because of all your work.
If you did not get a chance to participate in Coastal Cleanup 2021, you can use the Clean Swell app at any time to track litter you pick up in your community. The app can be downloaded in the Apple Store or Google Play. The litter your household collects will help contribute to the total amount of litter picked up in San Mateo County. Check out global and local data at coastalcleanupdata.org.
Meet up with a local organization below to pick up litter in San Mateo County year-round.
Top of the Hill Improvement Association | Intermittent
Pride and Beautification Committee | Earth Week – April
City of San Mateo TeamUp to CleanUp | Intermittent
San Mateo County Coast
Thank You Statewide and Local Partners!
- California Coastal Commission
- California Department of Boating & Waterways
- California State Parks
- California State Parks Foundation
- City of Belmont
- City of Brisbane
- City of Burlingame
- City of Millbrae
- City of Redwood City
- City of San Bruno
- City of San Mateo
- City of South San Francisco
- Crystal Geyser
- Familias al Aire Libre
- Grassroots Ecology
- Half Moon Bay Rotary Club
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Ocean Conservancy
- Pacific Beach Coalition
- Puente de la Costa Sur
- Redwood High School
- San Gregorio Environmental Resource Center
- San Mateo County Harbor District
- San Mateo County Office of Sustainability
- Sequoia Yacht Club
- St. Mathew’s Catholic School
- Surfrider Foundation
- The Club at Westpoint