Body Art Practitioner Registration Information
- You must be at least 18 years of age to give or receive a tattoo
- You must have a valid Blood Borne Pathogen Exposure Training Certificate
- You must practice within a Permitted Body Art Facility
To obtain or renew a Body Art Practitioner Registration, you are required to submit a completed registration application and attach the information requested on the registration instruction sheet.
You can download the application forms from this page.
You can submit the application to us in one of three ways:
1. Scan/send to email: email@example.com and type “body art” in subject field
2. Fax @ (650) 627-8244 – No photos please
3. Mail to: Environmental Health Services attn: Body Art Program 2000 Alameda De Las Pulgas, Ste 100 San Mateo, CA 94403
Once the application is complete and all documents are received, you will be issued a San Mateo County Practitioner Registration Card. You are required to prominently display a current registration card on your person and or at your facility’s workstation. Practitioner registrations are valid for one year and must be renewed annually.
Approved Blood Borne Pathogen Exposure Training Courses
Due to ongoing COVID-19 responses by public and Environmental Health Services staff, the Approved Body Art Practitioners list is not currently able to be maintained. Please verify with the specific practitioner that they have a current and valid registration.
List of Approved Body Art Practitioners
A valid Body Art Practitioner Registration issued from any other jurisdiction within California is intended to allow the Practitioner to practice within this county for 5 consecutive days no more then 15 days total in a calendar year.