Skip to main content Skip to site navigation

Housing Program


Housing Program

Environmental Health Services is responsible for enforcing State health laws, quarantines and orders related to housing, including areas of interior and exterior maintenance, sanitation, and occupancy standards. Authority to enter and conduct housing inspections is derived from the California Health & Safety Code Section 17970.

All multi-unit (4 or more) rental properties are subject to routine housing inspections by this Division and assessed an annual fee as set by County Ordinance, Title 5, Chapter 5.64, §5.64.070. Multi-unit buildings are inspected to comply with minimum standards as set forth in §17920.3, (substandard building), & §17920.10, (lead hazards).

For additional information on the Housing Inspection Program please review the Housing Inspection Program Packet.

The Housing program inspects the following:

• Rental properties (apartment buildings of 4 units or more)

Hotels, motels, bed & breakfasts  (B&Bs)

Mobile home parks (within unincorporated San Mateo County)

Organized camps 

Employee housing 

Detention facilities 

For all other issues contact your city’s code enforcement department 

If you reside within the City of San Mateo or the City of San Carlos, contact your local Code Enforcement Department  directly for more information on registering a complaint.

City of San Mateo Code Enforcement
  (650) 522-7150

City of San Carlos Code Enforcement
   (650) 802-4100

For issues regarding properties in unincorporated areas click here.

Complaints concerning Housing Authority, HUD, or Section 8 should be directed to the San Mateo County Department of Housing at 650-802-3300, or click here.

To file a complaint about a townhome or condominium, contact the owner, HOA, or obtain legal advice.

Steps to resolve your housing complaint:

• Contact your landlord or manager in writing regarding your complaint

• Give landlord or manager adequate time to resolve your complaint

• If the problem persists, contact Environmental Health Services at (650) 599-1112, or use the Online Complaint Form.

Additional Information and Resources

Housing Application/Change of Information Form

Health and Safety Code 

Certification of Repairs Form 

Bed Bug Information 

Pest Control Services Guide

Information on mold in your home 

Lead Poisoning Prevention

Mosquito and Vector Control 

Landlord-Tenant Conflict Resolution 

Sewage Cleanup 

Aging and Adult Services 

Tenant & Landlord Rights Guide