SMMC: Education & Training
Education & Training
San Mateo Medical Center is invested in the development and training of its workforce. We provide a variety of training opportunities – from onboarding training and skills days to CMEs and tuition reimbursement.
SMMC County Employees: Please use the County Learning Management System (LMS) to complete required training.
Long term (3+ months) Non-County contractors at SMMC: Please register on the County Learning Management System (LMS) to complete required training.
Non-County providers, Short-term (< 3 months) contractors, travelers, and students at SMMC: Please complete the required training listed below.
Education Department Standard Procedures
1.1 Course Registration
BLS/CPR Course: Register online through Hearthshare Training - Note: There is a 24 hour cancellation policy, you will be charged for “no-show.”
ACLS & PALS Course: Register online through Hearthshare Training - Note: SMMC only pays for employees of the following departments: ICU, ED, PACU, OR, SS, and ENDO. There is a 24 hour cancellation policy, you will be charged for “no-show.”
Crisis Prevention Intervention Course: Register online through the County’s Learning Management System. Search for “SMMC CPI” (Refresher or Initial), request course, then click register on your transcript. Note: You will not be registered until you click “register” on your transcript. Travelers/Non LMS-Users email: firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
1.2 Continuing Education Reimbursement (RN/NP)
Please follow this procedure for CE Reimbursements (nursing only):
1. Obtain your department manager’s approval for Education Leave time using your department-specific form (submit to your manager).
2. After you complete your course (with your department
manager’s approval), submit the following to the Education
Department (PONY: HOS316IE):
(1) CE Reimbursement request form [Download]
(2) Completed Demand on the Treasury Form [Download]
(3) Proof of Payment, and
(4) Proof of Successful Completion
Note: Only Tuition is reimbursable. You are only paid to the limit of your allocated funds.
Vew the Soarian Education Page
Required Compliance Education
Before launching this course, you must disable your
This course requires Flash Player & Java Script.
This course is a requirement of all employees, contractors, travelers, and students at San Mateo Medical Center.
Time Required: 20 – 30 Minutes
- Understand Protected Health Information, HIPAA regulations, Minimum necessary, and handling patient information.
- Understand the manager and staff roles related to PHI and HIPAA, safeguards, and how to report breaches and violations.
Launch Course: SMMC HIPAA Compliance FY 15-16
Antibiotic Stewardship Education
Antibiotic Stewardship Course
Before launching this training, you must disable your
This training requires Flash Player & Java Script.
This training module is a requirement for all providers at San Mateo Medical Center.
Time Required: 10 – 15 Minutes
- Understand what Antibiotic Stewardship is, its importance, implementation and strategies.
- Complete a competency requirement with a passing score of at least 80 points.