The Health System's Behavioral Health and Recovery Services (BHRS) provides a broad range of mental health services for children, adults and older adults with a mental illness in San Mateo County, including adults, youth, emotionally disturbed children, older adults at risk of institutionalization, children in special education or at risk of out-of-home placement, and people of any age in a major crisis.
We provide mental health services to all individuals who are eligible for Medi-Cal under a managed care plan called the Mental Health Plan (MHP), through outpatient service centers in Daly City, San Mateo, the Coastside, Redwood City and East Palo Alto, in school-based locations, and through a network of community agencies and independent providers. These county and community resources provide outpatient services, residential treatment, rehabilitation and other services for adults and children.
All services are aimed at helping individuals with mental illness maintain their independence, and helping children with serious emotional challenges become educated and stay with their families.
To access mental health or alcohol and other drug services for you or in your family who may be experiencing serious mental illness or a substance use disorder, call the Behavioral Health and Recovery Services ACCESS Call Center for information, an assessment and a referral based on individual needs.
ACCESS Call Center: Phone: (800) 686-0101, TDD: (800) 943-2833
Find Services in San Mateo County
If You are in a Psychiatric Crisis
Call 911 or go to Psychiatric Emergency at San Mateo Medical Center, 222 West 39th Ave., San Mateo, CA, 94403. Phone: (650) 573-2662.
- San Mateo County Alcohol & Drug Helpline: (650) 573-3950
- Is your family member (age 18+) showing signs or symptoms of serious behavioral health challenges? Call the Family Assertive Support Team (FAST) in San Mateo County for assistance.
- Are you concerned about a child or youth? A youth-focused hotline is available 24/7, to support parents, educators, counselors, doctors, coaches, and members of the community in San Mateo County. Call or text the Child and Adolescent Hotline & Prevention Program Hotline at: 1-650-567-KIDS (5437).
- NAMI San Mateo County - support for family members
- Network of Care website: www.sanmateo.networkofcare.org/mh. A wealth of information, tools and resources related to mental health and substance use topics. Create your own WRAP Plan and Personal Health Record.
- Youth Chat: Support for teens from teens - www.onyourmind.net
- Youth Website and Support Line: Reachout.com is a website that provides Q&A, hotlines, referrals and chat room staffed by trained youth to provide a safe, anonymous, non-judgmental place for other youth to discuss depression, suicide, family, pressure, school, friends, cutting, identity or anything. Get support online, via text, or by phone.
- TeenLine: Have a problem and want to talk to another teen? The TeenLine is operated by teens for teens. Connect by phone, text, email or message board: www.teenlineonline.org
- What You Need to Know about Bullying (download the mobile app) www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/gethelp/bullying.aspx
- The Veterans Crisis Line connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring Department of Veterans Affairs responders through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text. Veterans and their loved ones can call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, chat online, or send a text message to 838255 to receive confidential support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Contact Behavioral Health and Recovery Services