Support for Clients & Family
The Office of Consumer and Family Affairs (OCFA) is here to help clients and family members become more empowered and aware of services and community resources available to support your treatment and recovery. We honor each person’s unique situation and circumstances, while listening with empathy, compassion and respect for your personal history and cultural values.
- We help guide you through the Behavioral Health and Recovery Services (BHRS) system and inform you on how to get services and benefits for which you are eligible.
- We help obtain information about support and resources available to our consumers/clients and family members, including wellness centers and peer-run organizations.
- We help resolve concerns or problems about your individual rights relating to BHRS services received, including filing a grievance about services received from BHRS or one of our providers. For more info, see the Complaints/Grievances Policy & Forms Below.
- What to Do if Your Child has an Emotional, Mental Health or Substance Abuse Problem:
- How Family Members or Other Concerned Parties can Provide Information to Clinical Staff:
- San Mateo County Provider List:
- Find an Substance Use Treatment Services Provider
- Change of Provider Request Form:
- How to Verify a Clinician’s Credentials
- San Mateo County Guide to Medi-Cal Mental Health Services:
Complaints/Grievances Policy & Forms
San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services (BHRS) clients/consumers have rights, including the right to report problems and be heard about the services they receive. BHRS is committed to finding solutions to problems of concerns you may have with your services.
- Complaints Grievance Filed by Beneficiaries/Clients Policy
- BHRS Consumer Rights and Problem Resolution Brochure:
- Complete List of Consumer Rights:
- Medicare Electronic Complaints Form Privacy Practices
- Notice of Privacy Practices Summary
- Notice of Privacy Practices Full Policy
Client Access to Mental Health Record
- Client Request to Access Mental Health Record (If you have any questions about your privacy rights or about this notice, please call 1-800-388-5189)
- Attachment A: Request to Access Protected Health Information:
- My Child Was Arrested, What Do I Do? Understanding the San Mateo County Juvenile Justice System:
- Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP)—develop tools to manage your physical and mental health:
- Assistance with Insurance, Social Security, Public Benefits
- Mental Health and Substance Use Resources for individuals, families, agencies (Network of Care)
- Local Mental Health Community Resources for Clients resource guide for support and activities available to mental health clients residing in San Mateo County:
- NAMI San Mateo County: informing, educating and supporting people with mental illness and their families
- Voices of Recovery, San Mateo County: programs and support services for people seeking and maintaining long-term recovery from their own addiction and those affected by other people’s addictions.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: an agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that leads public health efforts to advance the nation’s behavioral health.