How to prepare for your dental visit
From Health Plan of San Mateo Dental
Click here for more information about what to expect when you visit the dentist.
HPSM Dental members: bring both your HPSM ID card and your Medi-Cal BIC card to your dental appointments.
Before the appointment
- Prepare a list of questions or concerns for the dentist.
- Tell your child about the appointment and what to expect. Play games to familiarize your child with the experience. Have them sit in a chair and pretend to be the dentist by counting and brushing their teeth. Then let your child pretend to be the dentist with a stuffed animal or doll.
- Read books or watch videos about going to the dentist with their favorite characters.
- Schedule an appointment at a time your child will be the most comfortable, such as after a nap or after a meal.
- Be sure to brush their teeth prior to the appointment.
During the appointment
- Bring a list of any medications your child is currently taking in order to give a complete medical history.
- Have your child bring their favorite stuffed animal or toy for comfort