Area Agency on Aging
The Health System’s Aging and Adult Services serves as the local Area Agency on Aging (AAA). AAA created by the federal Older Americans Act act as the focal point for aging concerns at the community level.
The goals of the AAA are to:
- Provide leadership in addressing the needs of seniors and people with disabilities in San Mateo County
- Promote consumer and other public involvement in the planning and delivery of services
- Develop systems of care in the community that supports independence for seniors and people with disabilities
- Administer federal, state, local and private funds in support of an integrated system of care
The AAA plays a role in contracting services with other County agencies, cities and community-based organization to provide needed services.
- Adult Day Care / Adult Day Health Care
- Congregate Nutrition
- Family Caregiver Support Program
- H.I.C.A.P. (Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program) of San Mateo County
- Health promotion
- Home Delivered Meals
- Information & Referral
- Legal Assistance
- Ombudsman Services of San Mateo County
The AAA is mandated to complete strategic plans in four year planning cycles.The Area Plan is intended to accurately reflect AAAs future activities by involving and serving older individuals, their families, and caregivers. It provides the format and structure to identify and document needs and addresses concerns in a manner consistent with the Older Americans Act (OAA) and the Older Californians Act (OCA) to enable communities and AAAs to plan for the future. To this end, AAAs are charged with addressing and planning for a broad spectrum of matters related to older individuals and adults with disabilities in our community. The Area Plan informs public and policy makers, locally and statewide, about how the AAA plans to address local needs and accomplish goals and objectives. The Area Plan allows for the AAA to re-examine its direction and progress as a result of change and allows for the addition to, changing, or deleting of current elements and objectives.